Friday, March 25, 2016

Field trip at 24

 So Tuesday was my 24th birthday and just might have been my best ever.

Kailyn and I got up at 5:30 am to go workout with Darbi, per usual, but Mal and Jamee wanted to sleep in.  Or so I thought… When I walked back into The Ark drenched in sweat, Mal and Jamee began singing “Happy Birthday” and presented me a blueberry cheesecake muffin (my fave) with a candle and everything!  Best African roomies EVER.  Of course, I took longer than they expected and by the time I got back the wax had melted into my muffin… Oops, ate it anyway.  

Funny Mal bought that card prior to our trip
and now all call each other "sister friends"




While we ate breakfast (Staci joined us as well), the girls presented me with a gift, something I was not expecting at all since I had already received gifts on the 8th and Mal had given me my bracelets she had bought before we even got to Africa (lol).  Turns out she did manage to hold onto one thing until my actual bday (so proud Mal!).  It was a journal she bought in the States and her, Kailyn, and Jamee had everyone here at New Day write me a note.  They spread all the letters out in the pages of my journal so that as I write in it, I get to read a new, inspiring note each time.  They also taped pictures of the kids in the front and back of it.  My heart could not have felt more full.  I am so grateful because now I will get to experience a piece of New Day each day even after I am gone.

As soon as we finished eating, we were told the water had lowered on the river so we were going to get to go to Choma as planned.  Mal and I needed to go and get our Visas stamped since it had been 29 days and they expire at 30.  Blu picked us up with his daughter Cambree and we were on our way by 7:30. 

Cambree has been reading a book about Horses in her Language Arts class, which she’s been doing with me, so Darbi set up a “field trip” for us to visit a farm with horses.  We were told we wouldn’t be able to ride since their insurance had expired, but we could look at the horses.  Again, I had little expectations and boy was I pleasantly surprised.

We arrived at Bruce Miller Farms and were immediately awestruck.  It is HUGE.  We first went to the Lodge where we saw all of the owner’s wild game trophies.  He was so friendly, showing us around and offering us tea and cookies with the standard British-Zambian hospitality.  Best tea I have ever had just fyi.

The Lodge
Some trophies - note the massive crocodile head 
Our gracious host and some of his many dogs 
We walked out back and his daughter had just finished bottle-feeding the baby sable antelope they had rescued.  SO. CUTE.

On top of that, their backyard was literally what I envision the Garden of Eden must have looked like.  As I was admiring all the plant life, their gorgeous friesian stud horse walked out.  SPEECHLESS.  Ok, not really.  Mal could tell you I was like a giddy little girl seeing a pony for the first time, but a friesian IS my dream horse.  Anyway, we fed him an apple and naturally I loved him. 



Cambree was a little scared at first (lol) but she warmed up to him later 
After talking with the owner and his daughter, she said that I could actually ride since I knew how and that Cambree could be led around – YAY!  She also told us they had a foal that needed bottle-feeding and we could do that as well.  I could not have been more excited.  Mal was likely inwardly laughing at me since I was in full-on kid-level excitement mode (pretty sure that’s a thing).

We went to the barn where their groom helped us bottle feed the baby and saddled one of the horses.  Riding was a blast, albeit a much different feel than my Quarter Horses back home sine the mare was ½ friesian and dressage trained.  Also, since I hadn’t planned on riding I was in a dress.
First time for everything I guess!


Cambree and me bottle-feeding the baby (the larger foal was jealous)
Checking "ride in Africa" off my bucket list
A little nervous - also, my favorite pic of the day
Much more confident 
After the farm we went to Choma to shop for New Day.  Quite possibly the most stressful grocery shopping experience of my life – 3 carts overflowing just with stuff for the orphanage.  Mal and I felt very accomplished by the end after collecting all the items on the list as well as getting groceries for Blu and Darbi while he ran other errands.

We ate samusas (fried triangles of deliciousness filled with veggies aka green beans, onion, and potato) and grabbed a coke at the store then headed to New Day.  When we got back, we went down to see the kids.  They all ran up to me yelling “Happy Birthday Rachel!” and gave me what felt like a million hugs.  The older girls sang to me at their house and sweet Agnes kept saying “Happy Birthday Lachel” over and over.  I have a video.  It’s precious.

After playing with the kids, we went back to The Ark since we had told Blu and Darbi we would watch their three children so they could have date night.  We fixed them cheeseburgers and chips and watched a movie.  They said we were the best babysitters ever (awe). 

Overall, it was hands down one of my best birthdays and one I will never forget.  I am so thankful for my amazing friends and New Day family who made it so special.  Also thanking God for blessing me in so many ways.  I have never felt so loved. 

Couldn't be happier 



























No comments:

Post a Comment