Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Birthday "Baptism"

March 8th (last Tuesday) was Women’s Day, a national holiday here in Zambia.  This meant no school and we got to take the time to celebrate and show appreciation for the amazing, hard-working women at New Day.  It’s too bad we don’t have this holiday in the States… 
Women's Day! (left to right) Diana, Elizabeth, Mallory, Laurie (Mama Lala), Jamie, Abby, Darbi (in the hat), Kailyn, Carolyn, Mcdrena (spellcheck?), Mama Tembo, me, and Mama Loveness 
Anyway, with so many birthdays here, New Day celebrates all the bdays of that month on the same day sooooo one big party.  Lucky me, I got to celebrate my birthday with them!  Ages: Luumuno - 6, Malilwe – 8, Glory – 9, Kelitah – 11, me – 24, and Mama Tembo – 54!  Kailyn, Jamee, Mal and I made chocolate cakes for the kids, each getting to decorate one, as well as a strawberry cake to celebrate Women’s Day.  On top of that, Mal brought yellow cake mix from the States to make me a special bday cake that her J and K decorated.  They didn’t even intend to make it USA themed but they did and I loved it. 

My cake! Thanks Mal Mal
We were each sung “Happy Birthday” with an added line of “How old are you?” (Where you hold up your fingers and yell your age) then we would blow out our candles and everyone would cheer.  Mal actually brought 24 candles for my cake so Papa Wes kept joking that it was a fire hazard… And it did take some time to light.  After singing, we went down the line opening presents.  I felt so honored that the awesome missionaries here took the time to get me gifts for my birthday.  I got some great Zambian souvenirs, a headband, and earrings – LOVE!  After gifts, the women all got hugged (by EVERYONE) to celebrate Women’s Day and we dug into the cakes.
All the bday kids with their cakes (Mal and I made the board in the back)
Malilwe blowing out her candles
Showing Kelitah my gifts - thank you New Day staff!
           I’ll be honest, I had heard ahead of time that you get water splashed on you for your birthday, but I still didn’t quite know what to expect.  I had thought it all happened at once, but as soon as I stepped out of the dining hall I was attacked by kids, teachers, you name it.  It was a BLAST and I was completely soaked by the end. I think the pictures mostly do it justice, just know that there are A LOT more.  At the end, we are all told to line up for a picture.  Of course, I didn’t know this meant Blu was going to dump and entire cooler of water on our heads!  I felt so refreshed, renewed, and purely loved it was like being re-baptized, hence why I am titling this post “Birthday Baptism.”
Immediately attacked by the kids
And the teachers... Thanks Abby!
It was hands down one of my favorite and certainly most memorable birthdays.  In fact, I think it’s safe to say it was my best!  I thank God for placing such a great, caring group of people in my life here.  I felt so loved by everyone and privileged to celebrate my birthday with these kids.  Of course, I miss my family and friends back home and hope to celebrate with you all when I get back! 

 “Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” 
- John 7:38
Thanks to these awesome girls for making my *early* birthday so special! (And Emmanuel)













1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! That all sounds so awesome. Water dumping on a birthday is a great idea!!!! Love you and can not wait to see all of your photos and hear the details.

    ReplyDelete