Monday, February 29, 2016

WeekendZ in Zambia

A girl from the village wearing a chitenge
Every other Saturday, the staff goes into Choma to run errands starting at 8 am.  It’s the nearest town and about an hour bus ride away.  On the way, we picked up Jane and May, two girls staying in separate villages here through the Peace Corps.  They were amazing to talk to.  I so admire their courage and willingness to leave the comforts of home and fully immerse themselves in another culture for two whole years.  Jane is from New York and doing healthcare work while May is from Florida and teaching.  I have to say, from the experience I am having so far, I wish I had taken the opportunity to completely engage myself in   For now, I will just absorb every ounce of Zambia I can in the time I am here.
another culture for a more extended period of time.
Once in Choma, we went to the open-air market to buy some chitenges.  These are what the Zambian women wear around their waists (thighs are the provocative part of the body here so they must be covered) and what they use to carry their babies on their backs.  After Mal and I bought a few, we walked to the other end of the market for fresh vegetables since they are more expensive at Spar (the grocery store).  I got a bundle of okra for 2 kwacha (~20 cents!!!).  What I would give for fresh vegetables to be that affordable in the States…
okra at the market
After a cram-packed, somewhat stressful grocery run (I love grocery shopping, which is why I go just about every other day back home, so I am not great at buying enough food for two whole weeks until the next trip) we rushed to the iSpot where we could pay for wifi.  Mal and I were able to connect for 30 min., but it was 12 pm here aka 5 am in the US so of course we couldn’t really talk to anyone.  Only Billie Anne responded to our messages (you rock Billie!).  We then grabbed lunch: chicken spaghetti stir-fry – sounds strange but it was oily and sooooo good.  We then quickly borded the bus because if you aren’t on it by 1 pm, you WILL get left in Choma and have to hitchhike back to New Day.  Side note: hitchhiking on the back of trucks is how Jane and May have to get to Choma for groceries whenever they have the can.  It’s also how they planned on getting back from Choma later that evening.  Impressive.
When we got back it was time for Kids Club.  New Day hosts this every Saturday for children from the village.  They all come to play, listen to a bible story, and be fed N’shima with beans and cabbage (“slaw”).  Many of them do not know English and were very shy, but let us take pictures with them.  This meal is typically the largest one they will get all week, especially due to the failed crops this year because of the draught.  The amount of N’shima these kids can consume is insane.  They all probably ate double the amount that I did and I was stuffed (THAT's saying something).  First, let me describe N’shima.  It is similar to grits but a firmer consistency.  Personally, I liked it.  It doesn’t have a taste on its own, but the beans and slaw served with it are delicious and salty.  You are supposed to roll the N’shima in your right hand to create a spoon and scoop up the beans and slaw with it.  It’s very messy, except in Jamee’s case.  She somehow manages to keep her hands completely clean while eating it.  I on the other hand (pun intended), could not.

Kids from the village lined up for their serving of N'shima, beans, and slaw
Jamee teaching me how to eat N'shima - Francis is likely laughing at me
Sunday we began the day with church, of course.  I imagine it is similar to a southern Baptist church experience in South Georgia for someone who is from a large church up North.  What I mean by this is it is HOT and lengthy and you may not understand all that is sung, but there is a great sense of community and it’s completely worth it of course.  Church is normally held right off New Day property in building with an elephant grass roof and log seats.  This Sunday morning, since it was raining, church was delayed and moved to the “dining hall.”  People from the village still came though!  We began with worship, prayer, and adult Sunday school led by Blu and translated by Hilda.  We are currently reading Exodus, discussing Moses and the Plagues on Egypt.  We then had more worship, and the sermon was led by Papa Tembo and translated by Malenga.  The ladies then led some songs in Tonga and danced out the door at the end.  As everyone filed out, they lined up so that as you left you greeted and shook hands with everyone you passed.  Afterward, we were all worn out.  I thoroughly enjoyed the service, but sweet Agnes was climbing all over my lap, playing with my watch and necklace during it so after I was ready to relax.  We all went back to the Ark and collapsed on the couch to watch Prince of Egypt, which couldn’t be more appropriate after Blu’s teaching.  Even though I hadn’t seen that movie in maybe 12 years, I remembered the words and we all sang along.  Despite our exhaustion, we paused the movie at two to go paint the teacher’s nails.  They were so amazing to talk to.  Hilda and Abby have been with Wes and Laurie since they first came to Africa over twenty years ago.  They are such inspiring, independent women that clearly having strong relationships with God.  Mal and I talked to them for a while and we were so glad that we got our lazy butts off the couch to go spend time with them.  We basically relaxed for the rest of the afternoon (I think the week finally caught up to us) until all the missionaries and some of the staff filed into The Ark for American Worship.  We sang English worship songs, which was nice since I don’t yet know the Tonga ones sung in church, and then watched a Francis Chan podcast.  It was a great Sunday spent praising God, thanking Him for this adventure, and enjoying great fellowship.
Sweet Agnes ("Aggie") eating her N'shima
LOVE HER AND EVERYONE HERE





1 comment:

  1. What a great post. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your experience. What an amazing God we serve -- Who enriches us, refines us, and loves us always.

    ReplyDelete